First Soak

 Posted by at 12:55 am  Nick's Blog
Dec 132023

Scott and Alan Banks from Banks Construction came back on Monday to build a step to make it easier for Terry and I to get onto the new deck from the yard with our short little legs.

That didn’t take long, and then they installed an extra electrical outlet in our bedroom and another on the new deck before they finished the wiring for our new hot tub. That actually turned into quite a project because first the store gave them the wrong 50 amp circuit breaker and then there was an issue with the wiring schematic supplied with the electric sub-panel for the hot tub. Once Scott figured that out, we fired up the hot tub, knowing it would take several hours for it to come up to temperature.

The weatherman had said it would be a cold night, and he was right. The temperature dropped down to 27 degrees, but that wasn’t enough to deter Terry and I from taking our first soak about 11:30. The hot tub sits on a deck built right off our bedroom, so it’s only about three steps through the sliding glass door to the tub, and those were a cold three steps. No question about that!

But as soon as we got into that water it was pure bliss. There are so many jets and so many settings that we spent a lot of time just moving from place to place in the spa, trying different jets to see what they did. Somebody said we must be crazy to go in the tub in that kind of weather, but not at all. Once you’re inside that water you don’t notice the cold a bit. And even getting out, soaking wet, our bodies were so warm that we were able to towel off, turn off the controls, and put the cover back on before we went inside, and we were still hot.

After soaking for half an hour or so, then coming in and taking showers to wash the chemicals off, we were so relaxed that we both slept better than we have in months. That thing’s going to get a real workout!

Besides all of that, and despite being without power most of Sunday, I still managed to get over 7,000 words done in my new John Lee Quarrels book in the last few days. Yesterday, I printed out several more chapters for Terry to edit and proofread before I send them off to Judy and Roberta to proofread. The story has really picked up momentum, and like a snowball rolling downhill, it is gathering new scenes and action along the way, most of which I never anticipated. So, just like a skier caught in an avalanche, all I can do is go along for the ride and see where it takes me.

We needed to pick up some things at Publix, so we left about 2:30 yesterday afternoon and drove into Northport. Our first stop was at Lowe’s to look at insulation. The room that we use as our office actually started out as a porch that someone enclosed. It is pretty hot in the summer, and in the winter it gets cold. It has twelve huge windows, which doesn’t help much, and we know there’s no insulation underneath, so we want to see what we can do to make things a little more comfortable. I do not know if whoever built it put any insulation in the walls or ceiling, so it may not make much difference, but it’s worth a shot. Unfortunately, Lowe’s didn’t seem to have much of anything in stock so we’ll have to address that at a later date.

When we bought our house, our real estate agent, Marana Payne, gave us a gift card from Longhorn Steakhouse at closing and we never got around to using it, so we had an early dinner while we were in town. I ordered their Outlaw Ribeye, which was absolutely delicious, and Terry had the Flo’s Filet with a baked sweet potato and steamed broccoli, and said it was very good. Thanks for the great meal, Marana!

With our tummies full, we went to Publix and stocked up on a bunch of stuff we needed, including dog food, some fruits and vegetables, juice, and such. Back at home, we unloaded everything, changed into comfy clothes, and watched television for the evening. It was a great day and made even better when Terry made some fresh peanut butter cookies to munch on. And as soon as I finish this blog and get it ready to post, we’re going to jump in the hot tub again! Life is good. 😊

And finally, here’s a chuckle to start your day from the collection of funny signs we see in our travels and that our readers share with us. We saw this on a car in Tuscaloosa yesterrday.

Thought For The Day – I’ve reached the age where I appreciate a nice handrail.

Nick Russell

World-Famous, New York Times Best Selling Author, and All-Around Nice Guy!

  4 Responses to “First Soak”

  1. Suits or no suits in that hot tub? Larry and I are definitely no suit people when it comes to hot tubs as long as we are some place to get away with it. ☺️

  2. Do birthday suits count? 🙂

  3. We have done the ‘hot tub’ winter thing a couple of times up on the rim here in AZ and you are correct, cold and even snow while in the tub feels wonderful. Secondly I wanted to mention that you might want to add a railing to that step. Sometime in the future a help with even just one step is needed for balance, especially for old farts like my wife and me. Be Safe!

  4. Really great additions- deck+hot tub- will also contribute to wellness in general for a long time- enjoy.The Banks Team have done such an excellent job(s) for you,you might ask them to check out the porch & suggest what would make it year round comfortable.All the best.

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>



Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.