It’s Alive!

 Posted by at 12:02 am  Nick's Blog
Jul 122019

Yesterday was a crazy busy day. Just as promised, Wednesday evening the final proofreader finished Big Lake Ninja and sent the manuscript back to me so I could start working on it yesterday morning.

Unfortunately, lately my back has been giving me a lot of problems again, so Wednesday night I could hardly sleep. No matter what position I got into, the pain just seemed to get worse. I had used my Tens unit and taken my nighttime medical marijuana oil, which usually helps a lot, but it didn’t make a dent in it. Before I went to bed Terry also rubbed some Volteran cream on my back, and I took a couple of pain reliever p.m. tablets. None of them did any good. It was so bad that I was tempted to get up and take one of the hydrocodone pills from the VA, but I really don’t like them and have not used them in a long time. And with everything else I had taken, I didn’t think it was a good idea.

By the time the alarm went off yesterday morning, I think I may have gotten somewhere around two hours sleep, most of it broken up into 15 minute intervals. Our insurance company required a new inspection of our roof, since our home is over 20 years old. Even the agent said that’s kind of stupid, since it’s a metal roof, but you have to keep the bean counters happy. The inspector was supposed to be here at 11 AM, but my back was hurting so bad that I needed to go to the chiropractor’s, so Terry stayed home to wait for him. It was a good thing she did, because he actually arrived at 10:30. He jumped through the hoops the insurance company requires and said we’re good for another five years or so before they will want us to do it all over again.

Once he left, I got to work on making the last changes to the manuscript, and worked pretty steadily on it until somewhere around 5:30 or 6 PM, when Miss Terry had dinner ready. After I ate, I uploaded the file and went over the online preview that Amazon shows, and at 7:30 I hit publish. It can take anywhere from three hours to three days for a book to go live, although in my experience it’s only taken more than 24 hours once, and usually it’s a lot less.

In this case it took 90 minutes and Big Lake Ninja is now available on Amazon. It is my sixteenth Big Lake book and my 36th book in all. I would appreciate any shares or plugs any of you would care to do. It will be a few weeks before the print edition comes out, but I will let you know when it does.

I’ll probably goof off for a day or two, catching up on email and things like that, and maybe piddling around with my family tree on Ancestry. But then I’ll be back to work again, starting on my next John Lee Quarrels book, Dead Romeos.

So far over 90 people have entered our Free Drawing for an autographed copy of Terry’s cookbook, Miss Terry’s Kitchen. To enter, click on this Free Drawing link or the tab at the top of this page and enter your name (first and last) in the comments section at the bottom of that page (not this one). Only one entry per person per drawing please, and you must enter with your real name. To prevent spam or multiple entries, the names of cartoon or movie characters are not allowed. The winner will be drawn Sunday evening.

Thought For The Day – Sometimes late at night I dig a hole in the backyard just to keep the nosy neighbors guessing.

Nick Russell

World-Famous, New York Times Best Selling Author, and All-Around Nice Guy!

  2 Responses to “It’s Alive!”

  1. What does it feel like when you hit the last button, Publish?

  2. It feels good!

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>



Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.