Back In The Wind

 Posted by at 12:02 am  Nick's Blog
Oct 142015

Between bad weather over the weekend and working on writing and weaving projects, we’ve been cooped up inside the motorhome for too long so yesterday we needed to get out for a while.

Our first stop was at the Ranger station, where I needed to pick up our parking pass for our extra week. That should have been quick and easy since we have been here three weeks and were already registered, and I had extended for the extra week with Thousand Trails Member Services and paid for it already, and just needed to grab the pass and go. At least you’d think so, right? You’d be wrong.

First we had to sit behind a fifth wheel checking in which took a while, and before he was done there was a big motorhome behind us waiting in line. When it was my turn the ranger asked me to pull off to the side and park so as not to block the entrance. Okay, no problem. Except that in the time it took me to drive about twenty feet, park, and walk back, two other people had shown up to check in.

Once the first person went through everything she realized she did not have her wallet with her so she had to run back to her RV to get it. And I had to wait, since the ranger already had the computer program open in her name. She came back, paid, and got her paperwork, then the next guy had to go through the check in process and guess what? He didn’t have his wallet with him either, so I had to wait while he went to get it. Am I the only RVer in the world who takes his wallet with him when he checks into a place? Meanwhile there were more folks lining up.

Finally another ranger showed up and quickly printed out my parking pass and I was done. So it only took me about half an hour to grab a simple piece of paper.

I guess it was time well spent because our next stop was at EZ Auction Drop Off to pick up several packages from Amazon. Some of them had arrived yesterday, and UPS had dropped off the last one about five minutes before we got there. Good timing on our part.

With that out of the way, we ran a few errands, including stopping at the Pendleton outlet store, where Miss Terry found a good deal on some wool socks. Tuesday is Senior Day with 15% off everything in the store, but the nice lady at the cash register said they were having their “Socktober Sale” with 25% off on socks, which was a better deal, so since Terry already had three pairs in hand, she grabbed an extra pair for free.

We have not had a chance to fly kites since we left Long Beach and we were way overdue so we decided to go down to the beach and check out the wind. As it turned out, there was plenty of wind and we spent a couple of hours flying. Terry was flying her full vent Revolution kite, and I decided to start with my original full sail non-vented model, which I had never been able to fly well when I was learning. But after acquiring and flying a couple of other Revolution kites with more bells and whistles all summer, I figured it would be a piece of cake. I figured wrong.

I don’t know what the problem was, but I still could hardly get it into the air, and when I did it twisted and turned so much it quickly wrapped itself and the lines into a tangled mess. Terry put her kite on the ground and came over to help me get things straightened out, and as soon as I got it back up the air it did the same thing. So Terry and I repeated the process of getting it untangled and I tried a third time, with the same result. That was enough for me. The darned thing went back in the kite bag and I broke out my full vent B Series Rev and had a great time with it. We can’t figure out what the problem is with the first kite; everything in the setup and harness looks right, but it just won’t fly. I think it’s cursed.

Oops, I goofed. When we got home I had an e-mail from subscriber Jim Gibson telling me that in the Free Campgrounds column in the new digital issue of the Gypsy Journal I listed some campgrounds in Mississippi that are actually in Louisiana. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thought For The Day – Not all men want a relationship just for sex… some want their dishes done, too.

Click Here For Back Issues Of The Gypsy Journal

Click Here To Subscribe To The Gypsy Journal

Nick Russell

World-Famous, New York Times Best Selling Author, and All-Around Nice Guy!

  2 Responses to “Back In The Wind”

  1. If there was plenty of wind for a full vent, there may have been too much wind for a standard and the spinning out of control could have been overcontrol. More wind means you really have to keep the kite in check – small inputs and corrections.

    As for the kite, have you checked the symmetry of the bridle by taking the frame out of the kite, folding the sail in half, and comparing each bridle section side-by-side with it’s pair from the other side? (Do this indoors.) A difference small enough to go unnoticed on an assembled kite can be large enough to throw it out of whack. Also look for extra hidden knots. Here’s my post about them:

  2. I had the same problem with the full sail B series I have (blue and white). I checked every single connection, turning the end caps this way and that until they were all in what I thought was the exact same position. It flew a little better, but nothing like the Basser or Full Vent. Maybe we should have Lolly fly them next year!!

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>



Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.