We didn’t want to announce it until after I finished up with my medical appointments at the VA hospital here in Tucson, just in case there were any unpleasant surprises waiting for me. But it looks like I’ll live another year at least, so we’re going to be at the Escapees Club’s Escapade RV rally in Gillette, Wyoming June 30 – July 5th. We will have a vendor booth and I will be presenting my Highway History and Back Road Mystery seminar at the rally. It’s been a while since we’ve been to an Escapade and we’re looking forward to seeing all of our friends, and making some new ones, too!
As I said, everything went well with my annual medical checkup yesterday; my blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and all of that other fun stuff are good. If my doctor can schedule one before we leave the state, I may have to go back for a colonoscopy, since it’s been five years. If the timing doesn’t work out, I’ll have it done when we return to Tucson in mid-November.
Today we plan to go to Show Low, our old hometown, where we will hang out for a couple of weeks getting our grandkids fix. It’s about 200 miles, most of it on two lane roads, so we hope to be out of here about 10 a.m., before it gets too hot.
I’m not sure where we’ll stay when we get there. For years we have stayed at the campground at the Elks lodge, but last year the manager told us he probably could not find a site for us, since the whole campground was booked solid, but to come by anyway, “just in case.” When we arrived there was only one other rig and the campground host. We were there almost three weeks, and every day the manager insisted we might have to leave at any minute because the place was “booked up.” Never in that whole period were even half of the 16+ RV sites occupied. I got the impression it was more of a power trip on his part than anything else.
Rates at the Elks lodge went up to $20 a night since last year, so they’re no huge bargain anyway. We’d prefer to give them our money, but if we can’t get in, no problem, we’ll go to Plan B and stay at one of the local RV parks. They always appreciate the business.
Assuming (and we all know what happens when we assume) my colonoscopy gets postponed, we’ll leave Show Low around the end of the month and wander toward Gillette, stopping to play tourist along the way. There are several stories I have wanted to chase down in New Mexico and Colorado and this would be a good opportunity to do so.
Plan B (always have a Plan B); if they do schedule the procedure sometime before mid-June, we will either hang out around Show Low a little longer, or go over to the Verde Valley Thousand Trails preserve for a while.
Either way, we’re headed for the cool, pine scented White Mountains today. We’re both looking forward to getting out of the desert. Two months of sand and cacti are about all we can handle. Not to mention the triple digit temperatures forecast for later this week.
Thought For The Day – Wounds scar the flesh, but words scar the soul.